You are here : Version Anglaise > News & About > Coming to Lyon and Saint-Étienne > To study

Coming to study in Lyon and Saint-Étienne

The Université de Lyon is made up of many French higher education institutions. It provides a wide range of high-quality training programs in the hard sciences, life sciences and human and social sciences.
► View our 'Training' section

Welcome services for students

At the start of the academic year, the Université de Lyon supports you remotely thanks to a dedicated hotline (residence permit, visa validation, accommodation, jobs, health, culture, etc.).
Download our International students' guide

► Find out more

How to apply

Coming to study as part of an exchange program

Before you begin anything, check the existing partnerships between your institution and the institutions of the Université de Lyon through the International Relations department in your institution.

Coming to study without an exchange program

The administrative process will vary depending on your home country, your area of study and the level of study. The Campus France agency provides a detailed description of all the steps you need to take depending on your situation. Some countries have their own "Campus France Offices" which you should contact before starting the procedure.
► Visit the Campus France website

You can also visit the websites for institutions of the Université de Lyon to learn more about their enrollment requirements. .

Preparing for your arrival

Your application to study at one of the Université de Lyon's institutions has been accepted. You now need to prepare for your arrival.
The Campus France agency offers over 225 Campus France offices abroad that aim to advise foreign students about their study projects and help them throughout the administrative process. All students should view the list of offices so that they are well-prepared for their arrival in France.
► Visit the Campus France website
► Download the Q&A (in French)

Visa applications

  • If you are a citizen of a country in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), of Andorra or Switzerland, you do not need to apply for a visa.
  • If you are not a citizen of a country in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), of Andorra or Switzerland, or if your country is part of the "Study in France" scheme,
  • VShort-stay visas for "studies" or "student examinations", long-stay visas for traineeships: please contact the French Embassy or Consulate in your country for the correct procedure to follow
The Campus France website describes the different types of visas in detail.
► Find more information about the different types of visas and the procedures to follow

Applying for accommodation

- Applying for accommodation through your institution
A number of institutions of the Université de Lyon have their own student halls of residence or even partners who will help you find accommodation in student housing.
Important! Depending on the institution, spaces may be limited and/or reserved for students on an exchange program.

- Finding accommodation independently
Different types of housing are available:
  • University halls of residence managed by CROUS in Lyon or CROUS in Saint-Étienne
  • Private university halls of residence
  • Flat shares
  • Renting in the private sector
  • Living with a host family
► Find more information about accommodation on our campus page

Compulsory insurance

Home insurance::
If you have already found accommodation before arriving in Lyon, you can take out home insurance online and give it to your landlord or the office in your residence on arrival. It covers incidents or accidents, such as fire, burglary or flood damage. The amount will vary according to the size of your accommodation. Where can you get it? Banks, insurance companies or student social security organizations (SMERRA or LMDE)

Civil responsibility insurance:

This is often included in your home insurance. If not, you can take out this insurance from student social security organizations if you are under 28 years old or from specialist insurance companies.

Health insurance - social security :
Students from the European Economic Area are covered by this insurance if they have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
  • Training programs longer than 3 months: you will need to be affiliated with the general scheme of the Primary Health Insurance Fund (CPAM - Caisse primaire d'assurance maladie) by filling a rights for primary insurance coverage form.
  • Training programs shorter than 3 months: you must take out your own health insurance from a private insurance company before your departure.

Preparing your official documents

Proof of identity:
  • A valid passport with the appropriate visa for your situation.
    For citizens of the European Economic Area and Switzerland, an ID card is enough.
  • Original versions of the supporting documentation provided to obtain your visa.
  • For persons with a long-stay student visa:
    • The original version of your birth certificate
    • The original translation of your birth certificate if it is not written in French. Please be aware that only translations carried out by a sworn translator will be accepted.
► Find out more information on our campus page
Daily life
  • Health or vaccination record
  • European Health Insurance Card for citizens of the European Economic Area and Switzerland
  • Student card from your home university for those with a short-stay student visa
  • Driving license, if necessary. Sworn translations in French will be required

Funding your move abroad

Grants for exchange programs

If you are coming to the Université de Lyon as part of an exchange program, you can find out more information about funding opportunities through the International Relations department in your home institution.

Grants from French Embassies abroad

These grants, which are usually awarded by the Cooperation and Cultural Action service of French Embassies abroad, are allocated to students who are studying or carrying out internships or language courses in France.
► Find out more

Eiffel Excellence grants

Eiffel Excellence grants were established by the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs. Eiffel grants are awarded for a maximum 12 months for students enrolled in a Level 2 Master's, 24 months for students enrolled in a Level 1 Master's, and 36 months for students enrolled in an engineering course.
► Find out more

Excellence-Major grants

These are study grants awarded to international Baccalaureate students from the worldwide network of French lycées.
► Find out more

Grants from international institutions and foundations, research organizations and other grant programs