You are here : Version Anglaise > News & About > PhD > Enrolling in a PhD program

Enrolling in a PhD program

For every PhD student at the Université de Lyon, enrollment in a PhD program consists of two stages:
  • 1. Pedagogical enrollment at the doctoral school
  • 2. Administrative enrollment at the home institution (paying enrollment fees).
You will then need to re-enroll each year.

If your application is accepted by a doctoral school,
you will be able to enroll through the Doctoral Schools' Information and Management System (SIGED) with the log-in details provided.

Enrolling for a PhD program is twofold. You must enroll with the doctoral school and with the higher education research institution to which your doctoral school is affiliated: Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Université Lumière Lyon 2, Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3, Université Jean Monnet Saint-Etienne, Ecole normale supérieure de Lyon (ENS de Lyon), Ecole centrale Lyon, Institut national des sciences appliquées de Lyon (INSA Lyon), MINES Saint-Etienne and ENTPE.
The choice of institution is coordinated by your thesis supervisor.

You will also pay your enrollment fees to this institution each year. Paying the first installment of enrollment fees marks the start of your PhD. In practical terms, this means that you generally have three years from this date to complete your PhD.

Your personal SIGED area

Besides enrollment, SIGED enables you to create a personal PhD area so that you can:
  • follow your program throughout your thesis;
  • enroll in multidisciplinary courses open to you.
If you have any questions regarding your SIGED area, please contact:

1 - Pedagogical enrollment (or re-enrollment) at a doctoral school

You can carry out your pedagogical enrollment or re-enrollment online via
SIGED -The Doctoral School's Information and Management System

2 - Administrative enrollment (or re-enrollment) at an institution

Once your pedagogical enrollment has been confirmed (the status of your application on SIGED should say "Validation 6/6"), you may then carry out your administrative enrollment at your chosen higher education research institution:
  1. I1. You can print your application record on SIGED (under "Formulaire d'inscription" ("Enrollment form") which can be downloaded once all details have been entered in SIGED);
  2. Make sure that everything has been completed (some institutions require specific documents: proof of identity, your thesis project, etc.);
  3. After you have completed your administrative enrollment and paid the required fees, please provide your doctoral school with proof of your enrollment (proof of student status, a copy of your student card, receipt of payment of tuition fees, etc.) as this will confirm that are you are fully enrolled at the doctoral school.